When it comes to health care, Saskatchewan residents can register for provincial health insurance, the Saskatchewan Health Plan. All permanent residents and anyone living in the province for at least six months out of a year can receive government benefits.
The Saskatchewan Health Plan covers basic medical care at no cost. Provincial health and dental insurance comes with several benefits, but it is lacking in some areas. Offering supplemental coverage to your employees ensures they can afford any additional health care services, treatments, or medical supplies they may need.
Table of Contents
About Saskatchewan Health Coverage
Saskatchewan health benefits pay for most medical services deemed necessary by physicians for eligible patients. The publicly funded program pays health care providers directly instead of reimbursing patients who pay for services out-of-pocket.
Complete services Saskatchewan Health covers include:
- All medically necessary services from a physician
- HIV testing and STI treatments
- Mental health services under the Saskatchewan Health Authority
- Home care services
- Substance abuse and gambling addiction treatments
In some cases, provincial health insurance will cover major dental and oral surgeries such as tooth extractions and dental implants. However, for the payment to fall under government insurance instead of a billable expense to the patient, the treatment must be medically necessary, not cosmetic.
Saskatchewan Health will provide partial coverage for several treatments and services. Once a plan member hits a predetermined expense limit, they are responsible for paying the difference or submitting a claim to a supplemental insurance company. Partial coverage includes:
- Air ambulance services for treatment outside of Saskatchewan by physician request
- Long-term care
- Optometric services for people who are under 18 years of age, diabetic, or have eye-related trauma
Saskatchewan Provincial Coverage Restrictions
The provincial health insurance plan has coverage limits that leave its member responsible for specific medical expenses, such as:
- Prescription drugs
- Paramedical services
- Ground ambulance services
- Routine dental care
- Routine vision care
- Prescription eyeglasses and contacts
Despite these restrictions, the region’s government has programs to assist qualifying Saskatchewan residents who need help paying for medical expenses.
- Children’s Drug Plan: Children under 14 can receive up to $25 for prescription medications
- Seniors Drug Plan: People over 64 can pay $25 for necessary medication
- Emergency Assistance for Prescription Drugs: Anyone who cannot pay for a prescription drug needed for treating a medical condition can receive one-time emergency assistance.
- Family Health Benefits: Low-income families can participate in this plan
- Saskatchewan Insulin Pump Program: Type 1 diabetics under 26 years of age who require an insulin pump can participate in the program
Learn here how to make sure that you can recruit and keep that talent through robust Employee Benefits package.
Supplementing Health Benefits
Saskatchewan has many programs to help its residents receive basic medical necessities, but it’s not always enough. Applicants must qualify for government assistance, and they are responsible for paying for all billable services if they are ineligible.
A supplemental health and dental insurance plan with group benefits will close the gaps the region’s health care plan leaves open. It offers a layer of protection for those who may incur medical and nonmedical expenses resulting from an illness or injury.
Supplemental health insurance can cover:
- Routine vision care
- Dental care
- Prescription drugs
- Ambulance services
- Out-of-province emergency medical services
Reduce Out-of-Pocket Medical Expenses With Extended Health Care
Your company’s group benefits plan is customizable to accommodate the needs of your employees. At Group Enroll, we partner with the leading insurance companies in Canada to provide businesses with affordable, comprehensive group benefit plans. We can provide you quotes for custom insurance solutions from multiple insurers in minutes.
Our dedicated and knowledgeable team will gladly help you find the best group insurance products for your needs, including extended health care plans. Fill out our quick quote form today to get started.